Yana Sizikova Arrested on Suspicion of Match-Fixing at 2020 French Open
By admin - June 7, 2021
Match-fixing has been around for quite some time in the underworld. However, this case has gone a lot of mainstream buzz. Here are the highlights:
- The 765th ranked player, Yana Sizikova, was reportedly involved in match-fixing at last year’s French Open and arrested in Paris.
- She was arrested on charges of sports bribery and organized acts of fraud that were done in September 2020.
- This case actually opened up in October 2020 by a French police unit that specializes in the areas of match-fixing and fraud. Not to mention, they worked with Belgian authorities to monitor things in lower levels of professional tennis.
- After noticing suspicious betting practices in the 1st round of a women’s doubles match on Sept 30, the prosecutor’s office started to get involved.
- Apparently, Sizikova was in a doubles match with her US partner Madison Brengle. She double-faulted twice in a game against Andreea Mitu and Patricia Maria Tig.
- French newspaper Le Parisien reported that tens of thousands of euros were bet with several operators for the Romanian players to win the match.
- Sizikova was arrested Thursday after losing the first round and authorities searched her hotel room. It’s unknown if she has legal representation to speak on her behalf.