It’s been some trials and tribulations in regards to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. The president of the Tokyo Olympic organizing committee said that IOC President Thomas Bach’s visit to Japan this month seems unlikely due to the state of emergency in Tokyo and other parts extended at least until May 31. Here are the highlights:
- Canceling the trip may be a bit embarrassing for the International Olympic Committee and local organizers who want to build confidence that they can hold a “safe and secure” Olympics.
- In only 11 weeks, the postponed Olympic games are to open on July 23, followed by the Paralympics on August 24.
- Organizing committee president Seiko Hashimoto said that it would be quite tough for Bach to come now with all that’s going on. However, nothing had been decided yet.
- Bach had recently hoped to go to the torch relay on May 17 and 18 but said plans haven’t been finalized.
- IOC member Sebastian Coe, president of World Athletics and two-time gold medalist for the 1,500 meters in track and field sympathizes with Hashimoto.
- Coe was the head of the 2012 London Olympics, but he didn’t have to deal with all these protocols of a pandemic situation. He knows the pressure he’s under and the extra layer of complex issues due to the coronavirus just makes things harder.
- There have been different test events and the governor is looking at all the details as well to help fine-tune things. The organizing committee and FINA, the governing body of swimming and diving said the feedback from the competitors has been positive overall.
- Canadian diver Jennifer Abel said that the main goal is for everyone to feel safe. She said she feels very safe with how their utilizing Covid guidelines.
- Hashimoto said that he feels the games will be safer due to Pfizer and BioNTech donating doses to athletes and officials in preparation for the Tokyo Olympics.