With the Los Angeles Lakers out, there’s room for a new champion this year. As a matter of fact, a lot of potential teams are in the running to be that new wave. With the second round of the playoffs starting Saturday night, there are new faces here to represent. Here are the highlights:
- Franchises from Phoenix, Brooklyn, and Atlanta are all fighting for that top spot.
- For the people left in this playoffs, it’ll feel like a new world because those classic finalists are not in the running this year.
- Philadelphia coach Doc Rivers says that at the end of the day, all that matters is great basketball.
- However, it is something a bit unique because this is only the third time in NBA history that teams from one season aren’t finalists. In this case, we’re talking about the Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat.
- The Phoenix Suns knocked out the Lakers to get to Round 2. Lakers forward, Lebron James, says that it’s been physically and mentally draining. He’s been battling with a high-ankle injury so his play had been on and off for a few months.
- To a lot of people, having new contenders for the championship is a good thing and will give the game more dynamics.
- Philadelphia’s Danny Green says a lot of the world may be surprised that two top-tier teams got knocked out of the playoffs so early, but injuries and other things do happen. As a fan, he loves to root for the underdog. As a ballplayer, he just wants to focus on his team winning.