Shaq Barrett stays with Bucs on 4-year, $72 million deal
By admin - March 15, 2021
Linebacker Shaquil Barrett has agreed to a four-year, $72 million contract to remain with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who are aren’t wasting time doing whatever’s necessary to retain key components of their Super Bowl-winning roster. Here are the highlights:
- Barrett is one of the NFL’s top pass rushers over the past two seasons.
- He earned $15.8 million in 2020, when he played under the franchise tag.
- He led the league with 19½ sacks in 2019.
- The 28-year-old’s new deal — facilitated by Tom Brady signing an extension that cleared $19 million in salary cap space — includes $36 million guaranteed.
- Re-signing Barrett, however, was by far the top priority this winter. He followed his 2019 breakthrough season with eight regular-season sacks in 2020 last season and four more during Tampa Bay’s postseason run — three in the NFC championship game and one in the Super Bowl.
- Barrett spent the first five seasons of his career primarily as a backup with the Denver Broncos.
- He signed a one-year, $4 million deal with Tampa Bay in free agency in 2019 and has 27½ sacks in 31 regular-season games since joining the Bucs.