NBA players hailed by pope at Vatican for demanding justice
By admin - 2018-04-09 12:03:10
With NBA players not only being “champions” but fighters for social justice, like “Black Lives Matter,” Pope Francis met with some of them and gave them recognition at the Vatican. Here are the highlights:
- Some players, such as Marco Belinelli, Sterling Brown, Jonathan Isaac, and Anthony Tolliver attended the meet and greet.
- Roberts told the pope they were here because of the inspiration of the work that he does for the world.
- The NBA Players Union said the players spoke about their individual and collective efforts to to bring more awareness to social and economical injustices.
- The pope praised them on being champions, but more importantly on teamwork and bringing a sense of humility and humanity.
- Belinelli wanted to support his colleagues in their struggles in the USA as well as show that athletes have a big platform they can use to bring about positive changes in society.
- Bellinelli said the pope had some wise words , such as “The key is to remain humble.”
- This is an experience that the players will never forget.