A handful of teams could be new women’s basketball No. 1
By admin - 2018-08-07 10:21:50
There’s a new No. 1 in The Associated Press women’s basketball poll. Here are the highlights:
- After South Carolina’s loss to No. 8 N.C. State on Thursday night, the window of opportunity to get the top seed in the poll came up on Monday.
- With it being early in the season, it’s a toss up between a few teams.
- While it was a significant victory, N.C. State coach Wes Moore put things in perspective. He said, “we need to keep grinding and keep climbing.”
- The Wolfpack has the best victory of the season and were able to put a stop to the Gamecocks’ 29-game winning streak.
- While Stanford was No. 2 the first two weeks, it’s assumed they would get that top-ranking. However, there’s still a lot ahead with tough competitors they’ve yet to face.
- If Stanford does get to No. 1, they’d be a repeat for getting the top slot in early December.
- Coach Tara VanDerveer wasn’t too concerned about where the Cardinal would be ranked on Monday. If they’re still in it in March, then they’d be able to talk about it.
- It’s difficult to see third-seed, UConn taking No.1 because they’ve been put on pause after a positive coronavirus test.
- No. 5 Louisville is 4-0 this season. Coach Jeff Walz is happy his team’s performance and doesn’t worry about the ranking as of now. He knows it’s daily work ethic and “it’s the end of the year where it’s really going to matter.”