The San Diego Padres believe they will be able to have 20% capacity — or roughly 8,500 fans — at Petco Park for opening day on April 1 if San Diego County is moved into the red tier in the state’s system for determining when it’s safe for businesses to resume operations. Here are the highlights:
- The county could be moved into the red tier next week.
- Padres CEO Erik Greupner said Tuesday that it’s possible the team could be playing before capacity crowds at the 42,000-seat ballpark later in the season. Expectations are high based on last year’s playoff appearance, the signing of superstar shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr. to a 14-year contract and the acquisition of pitchers Yu Darvish and Blake Snell.
- Because of social distancing, “There’s not going to be an inch of Petco Park that isn’t going to have a pod of seating somewhere in it,” Greupner said. “The entire park will be utilized.”
- He said that with season ticket holders getting first priority, single-game tickets might not be available for the first two months of the season, or even longer.
- Fans will be required to wear masks. Coupled with other protocols, Petco Park “will be one of the safest places to be in San Diego,” Greupner said.