San Francisco 49ers had huge pressure after trading two future first-round picks to move from No. 12 to 3 in the NFL draft. General manager John Lynch and coach Kyle Shanahan spent over a month weighing their options before coming to decision. Here are the highlights:
- It took time before settling on Quarterback from North Dakota State, Trey Lance. It may be one of the biggest decisions of franchise history.
- They feel as if they can catch their breath now after adding depth to the team and giving Lance some good offense and defense to help beef things up in the Niners squad.
- Even Lynch says he feels comfortable with taking a vacation and leaving it up to Kyle.
- What’s next is getting Lance prepared for the NFL because he only threw 318 passes in college at the FCS level.
- Lance will report to rookie minicamp then proceed in the full offseason program.
- He won’t immediately play, but rather be a backup to Jimmy Garoppolo to help him learn the game on this level.
- Garoppolo is following through with this plan and welcomed Lance to the team.