The Seattle Seahawks cut quarterback Trevone Boykin Tuesday as police probe accusations of aggravated assault made against him by a former girlfriend.
Boykin, who joined the team in 2016 as an undrafted free agent, is under investigation by police in Mansfield, Texas for aggravated assault resulting in serious bodily injury, according to NFL.com. The charges came to light after investigators interviewed Boykin’s former girlfriend, Shabrika Bailey. Bailey told police that Boykin broke her jaw in two places last week as they argued over text messages on her phone.
Bailey went on to accuse Boykin of choking her until she passed out, and said she woke up in a pool of her own blood. She said Boykin later drove her to an area hospital, where she was treated and released three days later.
Seattle cut Boykin right after the allegations went public, despite the TCU product not being arrested or charged as of yet. Regardless of the outcome of the police investigation, Boykin faces disciplinary action from the NFL under its personal conduct policy.
In a statement obtained by the NFL Network, Boykin denied the allegations.
“I understand the Seahawks decision to release me,” Boykin said. “The story that was reported casts a bad light on the organization and on me. I want to be clear that the story is false. The police have taken statements from the accuser, another witness and me. All of these statements confirm that I was not involved in the physical altercation. This woman has lied about me and it has cost me my job. I know guilt by association is real. This person has fabricated a story and I am suffering the consequences. I will let the legal system run its course and I know I will be vindicated.”