Jon Lester, Nats agree to deal, pending physical
By admin - January 19, 2021
Left-hander Jon Lester is headed to the Washington Nationals, pending a physical. Here are the highlights:
- Lester is expected to fill the need for a No. 4 starter in Washington.
- Lester turned 37 this month and will be heading into his 16th season in 2021.
- He has a 193-111 record and 3.60 ERA for his career, which mostly was spent with the Boston Red Sox and Chicago Cubs, plus part of one season with the Oakland Athletics.
- Lester has topped 200 innings in eight regular seasons.
- He has posted a 2.51 ERA across 154 innings in the postseason while helping Boston win a pair of World Series championships before being a part of Chicago’s title run.
- Lester pitched 61 innings across 12 starts during the pandemic-shortened 2020 season, going 3-3 with a career-high 5.16 ERA for the Cubs.
- His $25 million mutual option for 2021 was declined by the Cubs in October, completing a $155 million, six-year contract and allowing Lester to become a free agent. Lester is owed a $10 million buyout by Chicago: $2 million on each Dec. 31 from 2022 through 2026.
- He was 77-44 with a 3.64 ERA in 171 starts with the Cubs.