Dallas Cowboys owner, Jerry Jones, did not close the door on quarterback, Tony Romo, returning to the team in the 2017-18 season.
Jones, who also serves as the general manager of the Dallas Cowboys, spoke Sunday during an interview and question answer session with reporters on Sunday at the NFL Draft Combine. The session lasted over an hour. Among one of the major topics was the status of professed beloved Jones quarterback, Romo, who lost his starting position to rookie, Dak Prescott, after an injury. Many NFL pundits reasoned that it was likely Romo would be traded, but Jones would not admit whether or not the Cowboys had been in talks with other teams about a Romo deal.
“I have not ruled out the possibility of him being a part of the Cowboys at all. The things that will influence this decision are competitive and sensitive,” said Jones. “We don’t work it that way here.”
According to Jones, the Cowboys are in no rush to make a decision on the status of Romo. The National Football League year begins on Thursday, but Jones said that Thursday is not a Romo deadline date for the Cowboys.
“We’re in a situation right now where we need to see some things happen,” said Jones. “We need to read some tea leaves. We don’t need to be overtly doing something. We don’t need to do that for cap room. We don’t need to do that for any reason.”