Indy 500 to Host 135,000 People in Biggest Sports Pandemic Event
By admin - April 22, 2021
NASCAR fans rejoice because the Indy 500 is bringing it back big this year. The Indianapolis 500 is set to be the largest sports event since Covid hit. Here are the highlights:
- It’s appropriately titled “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.’
- Indianapolis Motor Speedway worked with the Marion County Public Health Department to ensure that the venue can hold up to 40% capacity for fans to attend the May 30th event.
- After Indianapolis safely hosted the NCAA men’s basketball tournament for March Madness, it knew it could pull off this caliber of event.
- While Roger Penske hoped for full attendance, he’s proud that he can put on a big event given the circumstances.
- Additionally, he says that he’s happy to carry on the legacy as well as help bring back the economy in the city and the state.
- Spectators will have access to the event when the cars start burning up the track on May 15th. The only thing is viewing mounds infield will be off-limits.
- Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb praised Penske Entertainment and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for their cooperation during this pandemic.
- He says competitors still have two more opportunities to get vaccinated before the track opens. However, if they choose not to do it, they’ll have to get tested daily for Covid.
- No corners are being cut to ensure that fans can return safely to this great venue.