No. 3 Villanova beats No. 18 ASU 83-74 to win Empire Classic
By admin - 2018-04-09 12:12:14
With Saddiq gone, Villanova coach Jay Wright wondered who might be the new go-to player for this season. He may have gotten his answer. Here are the highlights:
- Coach Wright saw after two games that Jeremiah Robinson-Earl has that potential.
- Robinson-Earl’s showed out from the start with an 18-point performance in the season opener. Also, he came in handy with a career-high 28 points to lead Villanova to dominate Arizona State in the championship game of the Empire Classic.
- Wright said he wanted to be in that position but it took a year for him to put in that ground work to step up.
- The 6-foot-9 sophomore forward is certainly developing and hitting11 of his 17 shots. Not to mention, he’s getting rebounds as a more well-rounded player.
- The whole team is starting to get into great ball movement and rhythm as well.
- Robinson-Earl says, “We’re kind of a new team in a way with Saddiq leaving.” It’s been a good learning experience for the people getting into their new roles.
- There’s a lot to look forward to as Villanova continues to improve.