‘Healthy’ Prescott signs richest contract in Cowboys history
By admin - March 11, 2021
Dak Prescott has signed the richest contract in the storied history of the Dallas Cowboys. Here are the highlights:
- He has agreed on a $160 million, four-year contract, the NFL’s second-highest annual average behind Kansas City star Patrick Mahomes.
- “I thought about jogging out here and jumping up on the stage,” said Prescott, who broke into a wild smile while crossing the stage at team headquarters in Frisco, north of Dallas. “But I don’t know if you all are ready for that. But I’m healthy.”
- “I’ll be ready when it matters,” he said in response to when he expects to be back on the field.
- Prescott’s contract included NFL records with a $66 million signing bonus and a first-year value of $75 million. There is a no-trade clause, and the Cowboys can’t use the franchise tag after the contract.
- This agreement came a day before a deadline for the Cowboys to place the tag on Prescott for a second consecutive season.
- “I feel great about our future,” owner Jerry Jones said. “I don’t mind telling you the main reason I feel great is the guy sitting right next door to me.”
- “Never in a million years did I imagine not being a Cowboy once I put on this uniform and put on this star,” Prescott said. “So through it all, through the two years I guess you can say or more, there was never a slight doubt in my mind that I wouldn’t wear the star for the rest of my life.”
- “Don’t confuse that with how right we think this decision is, and how right and how much it’s been there from the very beginning,” Jones said. “This fits what I and what I want our Cowboy fans to think about when we think about the Dallas Cowboys.”
- “Eagerness, excitement, anxiousness, to give this organization and the Jones family everything they invested in,” Prescott said. “That’s a Super Bowl, and that’s to go win.”