Shanahan ‘believes’ Garoppolo will be 49ers QB in 2021
By admin - January 2, 2021
Jimmy Garoppolo isn’t expected to take another snap this season for the San Francisco 49ers, but seems he’ll still be in San Francisco next year. Here are the highlights:
- Despite the lost season, the 49ers remain publicly committed to Garoppolo as their quarterback for 2021, according to coach Kyle Shanahan.
- “I do believe Jimmy’s going to be our quarterback next year,” coach Shanahan said this week.
- “Look at Jimmy’s record when he’s been here. Jimmy, you can win with. He’s proven that,” Shanahan said. “He’s proven he’s a starting quarterback in this league. We had a couple of other guys who got opportunities this year who played like they have a chance at times to be starting quarterbacks, but they did play like backups overall.”
- The Niners acquired Garoppolo in a midseason trade from New England in 2017. Following the trade he won the final five games that season after San Francisco started the year 1-10.
- That off season the 49ers signed Garoppolo to a $137.5 million, five-year contract. Since then, he has faced numerous injuries, thwarting attempts at a consistent season.
- “I think he would have taken steps forward and it would’ve been great for him to play this year,” Shanahan said. “After what he got playing the year before, being able to go through his first full season, I think regardless of how it started out, it would have been a good experience for him to only get better. The injuries he had kind of took the year from him. … It was unfortunate for Jimmy and for our team. I know it’s frustrating for him, but that’s why he’s got to go into this offseason and do everything he can in this offseason to get ready for Week 1 next year.”