Eagles send Carson Wentz to Colts for draft picks
By admin - February 18, 2021
Wentz is headed to Indianapolis. Here are the highlights:
- The Philadelphia Eagles have agreed to trade Carson Wentz to the Indianapolis Colts, according to a person familiar with the deal.
- The Eagles will receive a third-round pick in this year’s draft and a conditional second-round pick in 2022 that can turn into a first-round pick if Wentz plays 75% of the snaps this year or 70% and the Colts make the playoffs.
- Wentz was previously benched for rookie Jalen Hurts after 12 games; He finished third in NFL MVP voting in 2017 when he led the Eagles to an 11-2 record.
- A knee injury ended his season and Philadelphia went on to win its only Super Bowl title.
- The deal reunites Wentz with Colts coach Frank Reich.
- Wentz is entering the first season of a four-year, $128 million contract he signed in June 2019. The Eagles will absorb a significant salary cap hit of $33.8 million in dead money on their 2021 cap. Indy started the offseason with the second-most room under the projected cap.
- The Eagles traded up twice in the 2016 NFL draft to select Wentz with the No. 2 overall pick. He started all 16 games as a rookie.