Just one day after saying he was thrilled to be returning to the Buffalo Bills for another year, Richie Incognito has decided to retire.
In an interview with the Buffalo News Tuesday, the 34-year-old guard said after a recent doctor’s visit he became concerned about his health.
“I’m done, I’m done, that’s it,” Incognito, 34, said. “It’s been a long career. My liver and kidneys are shutting down. Nothing I can’t restore with some balance, but the stress is killing me. I went to a doctor’s appointment the other day and they said, ‘Listen, the stress is killing you, what are you doing?’ And I said, ‘Listen, I’m just doing what I love and that’s playing football.’ So that’s why I’m done.”
Incognito had just restructured the final year of his contract deal last week, accepting a pay cut of nearly $1.7 million that he was admittedly upset about.
“It pisses me the (expletive) off,” Incognito told the News of the re-worked deal. “The contract and all that pissed me the (expletive) off and all that, but (retiring) has nothing to do with that.”
Incognito, who was named to the Pro Bowl each of the last three years, played 11 seasons in the NFL. But his legacy may forever be tainted by the eight-game suspension he received in 2013 as a member of the Miami Dolphins for his role in a bullying scandal involving fellow lineman Jonathan Martin.