The Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office will not charge Oakland Raiders offensive tackle Donald Penn with domestic violence after he was suspected of assaulting his wife late last month, ESPN reported.
“We did a review and ultimately decided there was insufficient evidence to result in a conviction,” said department spokesperson Frank Mateljan.
According to TMZ, Penn, 35, allegedly slapped his wife’s butt, poured a drink over her head and grabbed her wrist during a heated argument on April 29, then fled the scene before police arrived. But Penn and his wife, Dominique, later disputed in a joint statement that a physical altercation ever occurred.
“There was a verbal disagreement, there was NO physical altercation,” the statement said. “The two of us are in the middle of a divorce and it is a hard time for both parties.”
At the time, Raiders owner Mark Davis said that if Penn was found guilty of the charges the organization would take appropriate action.
“If, in fact, there was physical violence, then I would have to take appropriate action,” Davis told ESPN
A three-time Pro Bowl selection, Penn reportedly signed a $21 million contract extension after holding out during training camp last summer. He is currently recovering from Lisfranc surgery to his right foot after being injured in Week 15 last season.