Dozen MLB players have options turned down, go free
By admin - 2020-11-20 09:21:34
This upcoming MLB season will be unlike any other. A dozen players were told their contract options had been declined, among them St. Louis Cardinals Gold Glove second baseman Kolten Wong. Here are the highlights:
- The 30-year-old Wong will receive a $1 million buyout. Wong made his big league debut in 2013 and spent his first eight seasons with St. Louis. Wong hit. 265 with a homer and 16 RBIs in 53 games during the pandemic-shortened season.
- “STL will always have a special place in my heart and I will never forget all the amazing people who impacted me along the way! Much love,” Wong said Wednesday.
- Teams are cutting costs following the shortened regular season. With no fans in attendance — due to the novel coronavirus — many teams have eliminated front-office staff and scouts to cut expenses.
- Baseball’s labor contract expires after the 2021 season, putting 2022 at risk of a work stoppage.
- Arizona pitchers Mike Leake ($5 million instead of $18 million) and Hector Rondón ($500,000 instead of $4 million).
- Washington right-hander Anibal Sanchez ($2 million buyout instead of $12 million salary).
- Colorado first baseman Daniel Murphy ($6 million instead of $12 million).
- Seattle second baseman Dee Strange-Gordon ($1 million instead of $14 million).
- New York Mets catchers Wilson Ramos ($1.5 million instead of $10 million).
- About 50 more players would be eligible for free agency if their options are declined by Sunday.