Changing of the guard: Rockets, Wiz make Westbrook-Wall deal
By admin - 2018-08-07 10:39:31
In an interesting chain of events, Russell Westbrook is headed to the Washington Wizards and John Wall is moving to the Houston Rockets in a point guard switch just weeks before the beginning of the season. Here are the highlights:
- While the Wizards it was tough to give up one of the greatest players in the franchise, they were more than happy to acquire Russell with his caliber and character for the long-term.
- Westbrook has accolades such as 2017 MVP and 9x All-Star, but still hasn’t won a title yet.
- The Rockets had hope that Westbrook would be the final piece of the puzzle with Harden, but it just didn’t happen.
- The recent Westbrook-Wall swap works because they’re both owed about the same amount to the tune of $80 million. Not to mention, he has a player option of more than $45 million for 2022-23.
- Also, both wanted to move on to another team as well.
- The Wizards may have a chance if they get a good build around Bradley Beal, who’s second in shooting under Harden.
- Even Magic Johnson said that the combination of Beal and Westbrook can lead Washington to be a major Eastern conference contender.
- Even with the swap, Washington Wizards owner Ted Leonsis lauded Wall for his contributions and wishes him well.