Jaguars fire GM Dave Caldwell following 10th straight loss
By admin - 2018-07-23 04:20:40
Dave Caldwell was on the chopping block last year but owner Shad Khan decided to give him one more shot. Here are the highlights:
- When expectations fell way short, it wasn’t surprising that Khan fired Caldwell.
- Caldwell was fired on Sunday after the team’s 10th consecutive loss. It’s certainly the beginning of a new direction.
- Khan didn’t have any bad words for Caldwell. He said, “Dave was exceptionally committed” to the team but just couldn’t bring them to victory.
- Their organization is headed for a new direction in 2021.
- They’ll keep the current coach Doug Marrone and his staff for the rest of the season and start fresh for 2021.
- While Caldwell chose some top-notch players either they haven’t been able to get their stride or injuries plagued them.
- Caldwell signed Super Bowl 52 MVP Nick Foles to a four-year, $88 million deal that included $50.125 million guaranteed. However, Foles broke his collarbone in the season opener and even had to be benched down the line after he returned.
- Nonetheless, he was able to build a solid team in 2017 and some of them are still there. They’re young and have a solid foundation they can carry on into the future.